Ballerina Bites: Tex-Mex Lentils with Sweet Potato Wedges
Alexandra McMaster (aka. Ballerina Bites) is back on the blog this month with her flavorsome Tex-Mex Lentils with Sweet Potato Wedges recipe. Winter is definitely on the way, and this dish is bound to keep you warm and toasty when it's cold outside. We're dreaming of Mexican beaches and sunny skies!
Looking for another recipe with the perfect balance of protein, carbs and healthy fats? My Tex-Mex Lentils with Sweet Potato Wedges is a winner! This recipe is infused with Mexican herbs and spices like paprika, cumin, coriander and parsley to create a very flavourful dish.
4- 6 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
1 medium brown onion, diced
2 garlic gloves, peeled and crushed
1 punnet of mushrooms, sliced
1 red capsicum, sliced and cubed
1 red chilli, finely chopped (seeds removed if you wish)
1 cup red lentils, washed
1/2 can chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 heaped tbsp smoked paprika
1 heaped tsp cumin
1/4- 1/2 tsp chilli powder (optional)
3 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
1/2 can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 small can of corn, drained & rinsed
Large handful of parsley, roughly chopped
Large handful of coriander, roughly chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 avocado, sliced
1. Pre-heat oven to 170° C & Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Wash, peel and chop sweet potato into wedges.
3. Spread evenly over tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
4. Bake for 30 - 40mins.
5. Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add oil, onion, garlic, mushrooms and capsicum.
6. Fry until onion and capsicum are soft and mushroom juices have evaporated.
7. Add chilli, lentils, tomatoes, paprika, cumin, and chilli powder along with 2 cups of water.
8. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
9. Allow to cook with occasional stirring for 30 mins or until lentils have absorbed liquid.
10. Finally stir though nutritional yeast, black beans, corn, parsley, coriander, and lime juice, and season to taste.
11. Serve lentils over sweet potato wedges and top with avocado slices.
Serves 4- 6
Ballerina Bites. Xx
PS: Be sure to tag me on Instagram: @ballerina_bites so I can see your wonderful creations!
Also, check out my previous recipe: Creamy Salmon, Mushroom & Pea Risotto
From Ballerina Bites: